February 10, 2017
I was reading something the other day about how Tom Perez and his bungling a comment about last year’s Democratic Primary. He acknowledged that the primary process was rigged against Bernie Sanders in favor of Hillary Clinton and that the next DNC Chair Person would have to be “honest” and “transparent” to succeed. Then he essentially retracted the statement, stating that he “misspoke”. Or rather the party elders and establishment got wind of it and voiced their disapproval. Cue the groaning and eye-rolling. He was right the first time.
I’m trying to be a little less political, but this article I read kind of fits with my general train of thought on a number of matters. Our whole political system needs an influx of new ideas. Why do you think Bernie Sanders, the Green Party and the Libertarian Party had such a significant impact on the election last year? However, those ideas cannot be expected to flourish if truth cannot be acknowledged.
One of the overarching themes I’ve tried to deal with in my writing this blog has been the “Idea of Ideas” and how important it is to always embrace new ideas and information. When it comes to truth, I often quote Obi-Wan Kenobi from Return of the Jedi. In explaining his misleading account of what happened to Luke’s father, Kenobi states that “Many of the Truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” I keep throwing that line out there, but it is a good line.
Ideas were a focus of mine here, but how we regard those ideas is also worth looking at. Truth and belief can be subjective, but they can inspire ideas. I will admit that something I’ve struggled with is knowing when to challenge people’s truths and ideas. Where the lines are drawn. I have disregarded a myriad of them, but sometimes that needs to happen too. Although I would hope my writing here does occasionally inspire people to look at their beliefs, ideas and truths from a different perspective, I don’t claim absolute authority on right or wrong here. I’m sure there a number of opinions on that. I simply hope I challenged some truths and some new ideas came as a result of them. Even if it is just an expanded perception, I think it would be a benefit.
Regardless of the situation, ideas and truth need to be challenged.
April 6, 2016
Where I make a strange comparison, consider a few points and just generally reflect on planning.
- Still trying to get a good load of pages ready to go before I start posting Order of the Dragon again. Still getting distracted. Getting some of it done though. Hoping the change in hours gets done soon. Moving at the speed of bureaucracy, I guess. Bit of staffing/scheduling clusterfuck going on. Working on developing a new character for Order of the Dragon. One who interrogates people with the method of flicking pistachio shells at them. Not like I bought a pound of them and have been steadily working my way through them…
- I think the head-games we put ourselves through are worse than anything other people can come up with. Started thinking about this morning at work. Partly due to the stuff going on there, partly some personal stuff. I’m glad I’m at least trying to close this shit out though. The number of problems that could be solved or avoided if people just got their own heads sorted out before dealing with someone else…
- I remember way back in 2008, there was a bit of drama in the Democratic primary process. There were a couple of states that wanted to move their primary up by a few weeks, which caused a fair amount of friction within the Democratic Party. These primaries were effectively rendered irrelevant until the DNC could figure out what to do. The majority of the candidates chose not to campaign there and went so far to remove their names from the ballots. There were four that remained on the Michigan ballot at the time of their primary: Chris Dodd, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel, and Hillary Clinton. I remember that being the event that really pushed me to support Obama. My thinking was that walking away from those primaries was the right decision as it could potentially do more harm than good to campaign or remain on the ballot in those states. Could unfairly sway that pool of voters in the favor of one candidate or another. I started thinking about that after reading an article yesterday about how the Democrats are giving away the election–the Republicans are trying too, but I don’t think they’re alienating their base as effectively. In some ways, I see Hillary Clinton becoming a Democrat version of Trump. The comparison might be a bit weird, but the way her rhetoric has progressed makes me aware of a similar disconnect.
- Getting more creative in my cooking. Creating more variations on the fundamental ideas I work with. Next week I might make the Chicken Parm stuff with fennel in it. Just an idea I’m going to try. I’m working on a plan where I cook a meal each night with a certain number of meals in leftovers to go over the next two or three days. Enable more of a mix and still maintain a fresh selection. Will involve more prep work later on, waiting on my hours to change to put that idea into motion. Probably going to look into bulk orders of meat at some point, as that would probably make this whole thing a bit more feasible and cut costs a bit. Want to do some more baking, but again, I’m waiting until the stuff with my hours is resolved. Diversifying snacks to include stuff like pistachios and other things.
- Tearing into my loans. I’m a bit behind the pace I was hoping to have, a few things have interfered. The systematic approach I have working is still viable, I need to get a couple more pieces in place. Hoping to have that moving more efficiently soon.
March 2, 2016
Not much new to really get into, just basic updates.
- Wrote out a pretty epic essay type thing about ideas the other day. Really did not intend to get quite as political or make as much of a statement on things as I did, but it happened. Regardless, I liked how it came out. Just a number of thoughts I felt like needed to be shared, I guess.
- Continuing to work away on comics, reevaluating my strategy a bit. Planning on a bit more focus on doing trades rather doing a page at a time. Will continue to post pages in Order of the Dragon, but it will likely be less frequent as I focus more on marketable products. Thinking about a few new projects to work on. Also entertaining the idea of a collaborative work. I actually really want to do something where I team up with someone else. The biggest issue of Chlorine and Acid was that it was became too much me in the story–well, one of the biggest issues–and part of the reason I had to stop. Admittedly LMCBW might have had some of the same issues, but I like to think we would have balanced out.
- Working on a novel or two now. The bodybuilding one continues to trudge along. My general plan is to have a novel self-published by the beginning of summer, which should be doable.
- Voted in the Vermont primary yesterday. A bit irrelevant, if only because the guy I voted for was locked in already–86% of the vote. Thought about voting Republican, but that’s almost as irrelevant. As sad as it is, Trump is the likely nominee.
- Plans are starting to come together. I’m a bit more confident my plan to pay off the majority of my debt by the end of the year will happen. First pieces are falling into place, working on the next few. I like where this is going. Stashing away plenty of cash while paying off debt, it seems like things are going in the right direction. I think I can get another piece in place today, so we’ll see how things go.
- If all goes well, this could be an awesome summer. If the numbers do work out, I will be buying a Kayak and/or archery gear in the near future–hopefully without adding another card to the mix. Shopping around for those now. People might ask: why archery? Because it is cool? I’ve always had a fascination with it. Guns just never excited me. For some reason, archery does. Kayaking is more because I’m looking for something more complex cardio workouts for during the summer. Good cardio is something I’ve been lacking for a long time. Probably won’t buy either until the weather is bit more accommodating to such activities.