March 15, 2017
I might be a bastard sometimes–maybe most of the time–but I try to use it for the greater good.
- Planning on upgrading the hard drive on my Playstation 4. I’ve heard its a relatively simple process. Just need to get the gear for it.
- Getting closer to an hour of gameplay for each character in Overwatch. At least until the new one becomes available. As for this posting, I’ve got one character at an hour and the others are all at fifty minutes or more. It has been a lot of fun although there are characters I’d just as soon not play after this experiment is done. Not going to get all “These characters suck, these characters don’t…” but I just have some preferences.
- I tend to leave the microphone plugged in and ignore it when I play Overwatch. Usually I’m playing with random people, so I don’t talk to them too much. The bigger thing is people don’t realize they’re on mic and I get to hear discussions about feeding their kid a PB&J sandwich. It’s almost better when its in a language I don’t speak.
- Annoyed that I lost track of my compass and French curves. Couple of pages I could really use them for. Found the French curves at least. Will have to keep looking for the compass.
- Had a close call with my Macbook laptop the other day. Screen was lighting up, but did not seem to be getting a signal. Was convinced there was bad connection–apocalypse scenario was the motherboard was fucked, but I felt pretty safe ruling that out–and was planning to bring it to one of the nearby people who work on Macs. More on a lark than anything–to clean it up before it went into the shop–I got an airblaster and hit up around the keys and the vents. Working fine as of this writing. A little luck with my ridiculously expensive computer. I eventually want to set up a desktop, but that’s an “own place” kind of thing.
- Rearranging my workout rotation. Given that I need to up the cardio, I’m only going to the gym five days a week. Saturday and Sunday will be days for Cardio–kayaking when it warms up enough. Basically the workout are going to concentrate more on back and shoulders, basically the stuff I need to improve on.
- Had a breakfast burrito the other day with black beans in it. Still find the taste of beans to be annoying, but I ate it just fine. Making progress on that goal. Eating healthier, I think it does change my tastes a bit. Going to look into some recipes and see what I can find for recipes involving beans.
February 24, 2017
I kept telling myself I wasn’t going to do “I go back to work tonight and can’t sleep” post–by the way, I cut my finger on the lid of a yogurt container this morning and it is just enough to be a pain in the ass while typing–but I can’t sleep and I go back to work tonight. Which is really how most of the posts get written, to be honest. I can’t sleep before I go to work, so I try to wear my brain down enough by writing to sleep. Which might answer a number of other questions about what gets written as well.
Lesson for the kids at home: SLEEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T GET NEARLY ENOUGH. (My bosses don’t seem to mind me falling asleep while cooking cheese, but that will eventually catch up to everyone)
- Been experimenting with cooking rice lately. Cooking it in a frying pan has been a bit more of a pain in the ass, so I’m likely going to be looking into a rice cooker. Basically I’ve been simmering the rice on a low heat in Chicken Broth. Today I tried adding a couple tablespoons of Liquid Aminos–essentially soy souce, just in a much purer form–for a bit of flavor. Added some carrots and celery. Took awhile and the rice didn’t really cook as thoroughly as I had hoped, so a rice cooker might be an investment in the near future. Cooked up some chicken to serve on top of it the first time, some stew meat the second time around.
- Might look around for slow cookers/crockpots as well. I never to experiment as much with that as I would have liked, but that might be something to get into next winter. Slow cookers aren’t a big summer thing and the way the weather is acting, that might be sooner than ever.
- I live with my parents, which isn’t something that unusual these days or bothers me that much. My mother was talking to somebody about it and she mentioned how I buy my own food, which is true. I probably buy and/or cook/prepare probably about 90% of what I eat. I also have a number of kitchen implements–knives, colander, garlic press, leftover containers, etc.–of my own that I use. I would have a set of frying pans, but my ex kept those. Anyway. The person my mother was speaking with was completely stunned by the idea that I buy my own food and cook for myself. Nothing that extraordinary really. My father is picky and I prefer a wider selection of options, usually geared a bit more healthy than he prefers. As I’ve said before, being able to cook is a basic survival skill.
December 14, 2016
- Started working on a new comic. Kind of a western type of thing. Only really got rolling on one page so far. I’m just glad I’ve been able to keep drawing and writing.
- Been listening to a lot of Hamilton lately. My biggest disappointment about NYC was that I didn’t manage to get tickets to see the show. Unfortunately, they are ridiculously expensive and sold out. Then the whole thing with Mike Pence happened and I started listening to it again. The song “Non-stop” sticks with me. Primarily the line “Why do you write like you’re running out of time?” Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the idea that time has already run out. In a couple of situations, I think that might be the case. I try to think of it as meaning there’s nothing left to lose, which can be nice in its own way.
- Made Shepherd’s Pie a couple of weeks ago, that was really good. Put some bacon cheddar cheese on top. I’ve missed being able to cook on a regular basis. Threw together some Ranch Chicken and baked french fries the other day, planning on some more cooking too. I got a couple of ideas I want to try at some point. Something involving seafood. Hopefully I’ll be able to prioritize more time for that in the future.
- Trying to hit 200 pounds for my body weight before I really start cutting and toning up. It was kind of exhilarating to actually 180 pounds on my driver’s license when I renewed it last week. Kind of a weird thing.
- The other day, a supervisor told me he’s been hearing complaints about me, apparently thinking I’ve been slacking off. Regardless of my opinion of that assertion–*cough* bullshit *cough*–I never take complaints like that seriously. The big reason being that my dad works at the plant. Basically, I acknowledge that there’s a lot of back-stabbing politics in any work place and having a parent there makes me a big target. So I’ve come to expect such if only because it is human nature and I choose not to really care. I put in my 40 hours a week and do my best for those hours. That’s it. I’m already in a situation I’m not really that keen on and I have no interest in getting into pissing matches over delegitimized nonsense.
August 24, 2016
Some thoughts for the last week.
- Getting back to baking stuff. Already tried one recipe from the Protein Cookbook, going to try more in coming days and weeks. That’s going to be tomorrow’s big grocery shopping trip. Also trying to get back to drinking Apple Cider Vinegar. I’ve drinking a lot of Kombucha tea lately, which has a lot of the same benefits as ACV. My mom has been making it, so I have it readily available. As a result, I got away from drinking ACV. Thought it might be redundant. However, in the last few weeks or two I’ve had a few minor health issues–primarily headaches/migraines this last weekend–that might be helped by drinking ACV again. My diet has shifted significantly over the last month or two, so my digestion might be needing a bit more help to adapt.
- Vermont Comiccon is coming up. I will be a volunteer there, working as “Celebrity Queue Control.” Should be fun.
- Excited for NYCC–still two months away–and I’ve got all my books picked out to get signed, planning to do a number of things. Budgeting is going on. Lot of Doctor Who stuff going on down there. Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Jenna Coleman will be there. And there will be a big BBC/Doctor Who event at the Madison Square Garden theatre. Capaldi and the new companion will both be there. Apparently they’ve booked part of MSG for NYCC this year. Might be a ten minute walk away from the Convention it is usual at? NYCC gets bigger every year.
- Thinking about Cosplaying this year. I did dress up as the 10th Doctor one year for Halloween and it came out alright–probably even better now that I have an actual budget to work with and I already have his Sonic Screwdriver that I bought at the Doctor Who booth one year–and I got a couple of other ideas I might play with. Been shopping around for some gear in that regard. Problem with Cosplay is you can get pretty sweaty and nasty by the end of the first day. I could pull off a 10th Doctor or a Sherlock.
- Did a bit of a 180 on the working nights thing. They offered me more money. While the money is nice, it isn’t the deciding factor. Right now I have more of a long term plan that involves sticking with this for a bit longer. How much longer? We will see.
August 21, 2016
As I said, I got a Protein Powder cookbook last week and I have tried my first recipe out of it. Coffee and Cocoa Protein Breakfast Bars. Not bad. I substituted Honey for Stevia, might up the amount on that and use parchment paper in the pan next time, but overall a successful experiment.
So that leads me to figure out what to do next. I’ve begun to compile a list of recipes I would like to try. If anybody is wondering, the cookbook is the Ultimate Protein Pow(d)er Cookbook, by Anna Sward.
Saffron and Rosemary Organic Whey Protein Bread. Big holdup with this one is that I’ve yet to find Chestnut Flour. I don’t mind substituting–see the honey for stevia above–but on this first attempt that might get further away from the recipe than I’d like to. Also, I have yet to find an acceptable and endorsed substitute for it. I was hoping to avoid a special order, but it might come to that.
Strawberry and Dark Chocolate Protein Bars. Just intrigued.
Sweet Potato Protein Bars. Again, intrigued. Also trying to do more with Sweet Potatoes.
Sweet Potato and Nutella Protein Brownies. Again, intrigued. Again, Sweet Potatoes.
Protein Powder Buns. For Burgers. This might be down the list if only because the summer is almost done and I’m not likely to be grilling much.
There’s a pizza recipe I’m tempted to toy with as well, a few others I’m giving thought to, but those are the big ones.
July 6, 2016
So many things I wonder about, so little time…
- Got my first Bro Tank Club order yesterday. This one is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles themed, with a tagline on the back reading “Will Lift for Pizza.” I’m really glad I’ve ordered some of these shirts and got that “Mystery Bag”. Feels like more fun to be working out while wearing the “Maximum Effort” tank top or the “Alpha” unicorn t-shirt. The down-side to finding out about Flex Comics is that it kinda puts a damper on my plan to do a comic about working out/bodybuilding. It seems to be a bit pointless when somebody else is already nailing it. Planning on getting a pic of the new tank and the “Droid Rage” shirt in the coming days. I do have the Arnold “Come With Me If You Want To Lift” tank top as well, but I’m thinking I’ll save that for a special occasion–not really a huge fan of the Terminator, but two out of three in the Mystery Bag wasn’t bad.
- Chugging along with a few Order of the Dragon pages. I’m getting way to easily distracted, but I’m still hopeful. Giving some thought to revisiting Chlorine and Acid in the near future, maybe restarting with less of defined story to start. There’s always going to be a story to it, but I would like to get to the point where I’m just having fun with it. That was a big part of why I lost interest, just not having fun.
- Getting away from my usual breakfast for a bit, going from a single servings of Greek yogurt and oatmeal to a measured out mix of greek yogurt and granola. Did the math and I think it is higher on calories, carbs and protein to do it this way. I was doing a cup of each with a teaspoon of cacao nibs mixed in, but I might drop it down to a half cup of yogurt to make feel like a bit more solid of a meal.
- Saw something recently about how the triceps make up the majority of your upper arms–never really thought about it, but I guess it is true–so I’ve been focusing on them a bit more. Liking the progress so far.
- Thinking a bit about what I said about Independence Day. I think this country does need a lot of work. I wonder if we’re making the American Dream come true or just corrupting it and ourselves. There so many ways we can make this country and the world a better place, but we keep missing those opportunities. I wonder how many more we can afford to miss?
- I had included this in my Independence Day post, but later cut it, but I got a bit of an interesting story. Last week I went shopping for shorts, since all my non-gym pairs are developing holes. In retrospect, Lenny’s Shoe and Apparel was probably a poor choice, given that they specialize in work/Carhartt clothing. Anyway, I picked up a couple of shirts and a fleece jacket instead. On the way home, I realized the fleece jacket was the same type that my ex’s parents got me for Christmas. During the “Great Passive Aggressive Christmas of 2014”, they had given me a fleece jacket and vest with the name of the farm sewn into the chest. I remember being pretty overwhelmed by that–a better kind of overwhelmed than what going through at the time. I remember that just made me feel a lot better about a lot of the shit going on then. I left those with my ex because it just felt weird keeping something like that. Looking at the new jacket, I just remembered how much I appreciated and respected her parents. To be honest, I actually felt worse for the parents than myself when she broke up with me–more because it had already been a rough time with the sister going to Nevada than anything. It was a good reminder that I actually really did have a lot of admiration and respect for her parents–even if things did bottom out with their daughter. Just funny what gets the memories going sometimes.