February 15, 2017
Just learning something new everyday, it seems like there are just as many questions as answers out there…
- Got my Deadpool mask. Very pleased with it. Bit more difficult to see out of than I had hoped, but I’m getting more used to it. Here is a picture.
- I’ve been thinking over something I’ve observed lately. I call it the “Hurry Up and Wait” mentality. Basically I’ve noticed people have a tendency to take what they believe to be a faster approach that isn’t necessarily so. I’ve observed this in a number of cases where the time gained with the perceived faster approach doesn’t necessarily gain you much time in the long run and at best it provides more idle time that could be used to complete tasks more effective and efficiently. Might try to do a longer post about this at some point, trying to oversimplify it in a blurb here. I do think people get in such a hurry they don’t take the time to appreciate the progression or the steps.
- Tuesday was Valentine’s Day. Or Single’s Awareness Day. Or Lupercalia. I personally prefer Lupercalia. Those ancient fertility rituals are really a lost art. Always seemed like such a weird day that shouldn’t be necessary. Admittedly I did spend most of last Valentine’s Day resisting the urge to send my ex a topless picture of myself with the caption: “This could have been making you waffles today, but you’re a bitch and I don’t like Waffles.” Or something along those lines. One of my more douche-bag ideas as I processed things–might still do it someday. Point is, all a special day devoted to showing our love for one another proves is how much we have left to learn.
- I think back on a lot of the projects I wanted to start, but never really got a chance to. A lot of it would have been getting in touch with a more “redneck” side. I kinda took some steps in the direction–getting the chainsaw, some odd yard projects, kayaking, etc.–but there were a few more I still have yet to really parlay into. A lot of it is more dependent on getting into a more independent living arrangement. Right now, I don’t necessarily have the space or resources for getting a dog, ATVs, archery of some kind, livestock… all the other things I want to mess around with. I have a coworker who keeps suggesting I buy a gun, but I’m pretty meh about it. I’ve thought about it before, but it has never been something I’ve been terribly excited about. Point is, there’s a growing list of things I want to try but have yet to do and I’d like to start in on that.
June 1, 2016
Vacation is going. Selfie of my new tank top has been posted.
- Been getting a few drawings done, and have been working on comic pages. Vacation is going to be a bit of a catch-up phase. Should be able to make up some ground.
- Went kayaking, mostly just getting my feet wet–literally and figuratively. Probably didn’t spend much more than an hour of the time I was there on the water. Decided I probably will end up picking up crossbars for the top of my Jeep at some point. Mostly just getting a feel for the boat, making adjustments and reacquainting myself with the with it–I last did this on any kind of regular basis when I worked at Branbury State Park back eight or nine years ago. Has it been that long? Fuck, I feel old.
- I’ve been formulating this idea that Trump and Clinton are very much the same. When you think about it, they are. Trump won’t release his tax returns, Clinton won’t release her speeches to Wall Street–I won’t speculate too much on that but I suspect the reasons are very similar for withholding them. They have both taken money from Saudi Arabia–for different reasons, but I think it will be to the same result. The Clinton Foundation and Trump University have both come up heavy suspicion for various issues. I’m sure I could go for days on this if I really tried. But at the end of the day, you just have to look at the way they carry themselves. The way they talk. They really are the great Millenial Candidates. More the perception of Millenials–I do take some issue with that perception, although there is a bit of truth to it. With Trump and Clinton, it comes down to their sense of entitlement. To me at least, they come across as not really believing they have to earn people’s votes and should just be elected by supposedly obvious superiority. Crooked Hillary… Dodgin’ Donald… I look at the way they carry themselves and I think, “This is the way that Millenials are supposed to act, not seventy year-olds.” So yeah, my feeling is that unless Sanders somehow gets the Democratic Nomination, there will be a legit third party contender. Who that will be–The Libertarian Johnson or Sanders himself or someone else–I don’t know.
- My parents anniversary is today. I think it has been 31 years? Sounds right anyway, numbers tend to get jumbled in my head a bit. Suppose I should get a card. Might want to do something special, given the last week. My sister closed on the house her and her husband were buying, plus there was the stuff with my grandfather last week… It was a long week.
- Bought a Tank Top off of a website called Flex Comics the other day, a Deadpool themed shirt that says “Maximum Effort” across the chest. Fit perfectly in my usual size, if you’re ever interested in getting some of their gear. I’ll post a selfie at some point. The comic itself isn’t bad either. Anyway, I looked at the slip and there’s a hand written note that says “Thnks Ross”. Small gesture, but I found myself somehow very appreciative of it.
- Reflecting on relationships a bit. I feel very content to be single. This isn’t to say I won’t be dating or in a relationship soon, I just feel okay to be single. Really just acknowledging simple facts. I’m 29 and ready to actually settle into something that could go pretty far. Point is, I want to make sure whatever happens next isn’t caught up in making a point about the past. Avoiding that trap is part of why I won’t date until I’m done working midnights. I have entertained the idea of some kind of relationship with a couple of women, but there are certain aspects of those dynamics that I want to make sure I am more capable of dealing with. I have been in situations where I could not meet my own standards, I do not want to do that again. I don’t want to be in a relationship where I spend more time proving it is a good situation and that I made the right choices than just actually enjoying it.
- Saw something about how Nathan Fillion was apparently a real dick to people on the set of Castle, especially Stana Katic. A rumor, but it sounds like there was truth to it. Disappointing really, shatters that idealized image I had of him. Another reason I think that last season should never have happened.
- Glad I’m on vacation, I can actually get some of the things done that I’ve been meaning to do.
February 23, 2016
The Merc with the Mouth. Took a week longer than I intended, but I did eventually get to see Deadpool. It was everything I had hoped for and more. Admittedly I did feel a small bit of pain when I reflected about how I had a copy of his first appearance that I sold when the movie was first announced and realized how much I might have made today–Hard to complain about $600, more than a 200% profit on my end though.
Deadpool. The long, strange journey we had from comic to screen has concluded. It had everything from poorly conceived interpretations of the character to purposely leaked footage. After so many years, everybody had hopes and dreams riding on this movie. Trailers indicated we would see them come true, but we needed the movie to be sure.
Overall, it was about as close to perfect as one could hope. The story was essentially his origin, revealing how he met the love of his life before being diagnosed with cancer and getting tricked into joining a shady program. From there he gains increased healing while getting disfigured in the process. From there, he teams up with Colossus from the X-Men to get the girl and get revenge.
Ryan Reynolds played Wade Wilson/Deadpool and does a superb job. Really just captures the character perfectly. Morena Baccarin plays Vanessa, his girlfriend, and matches up perfectly. I’m hoping to see it revealed that’s she in fact a mutant, like in the comics. The villains were maybe a bit underdeveloped, but they filled the role well and helped to establish the tone of the movie.
The weird characters were the two X-Men that appeared. Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Colossus was obviously portrayed completely different than the previous X-Men films, which worked, but might be a bit difficult to process. He also seemed more inclined to play a role similar to what Cable’s would have been, trying to get Deadpool more aligned with the forces of good rather than as a force of chaos. Meanwhile, he had a trainee in Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Her powers were more like Cannonball’s as opposed the psychic abilities that she displayed in the comics, but that seemed more fitting in some ways.
Overall, as well done as it could have been, with few complaints that were not expressed during the course of the movie. Looking forward to a sequel and/or appearances in the other related movies.