March 8, 2017
Been playing a lot of Overwatch. Making it a goal to play at least one hour as each character. That could take awhile.
- Started getting serious again with the Order of the Dragon stuff. Drawing it out in pencil, rather than on the computer. I just like the feel of it better. Going to try to do more of a hybrid workflow. The mix has worked well in other projects, I’m hoping for the same here. I always found a more hybrid approach more appealing, as there are some details that I can get better in pencil and some I can get better digitally. If I have what I consider to be a healthy start, I might start posting new pages in the next week or two. That’s kinda dependent on me stopping with Overwatch long enough.
- Still giving some thought to bringing back Chlorine and Acid in some form, just want to make sure I get it right. One of my main goals with that–and in writing here–is to get some more self-evaluation going. I might be too open and honest at times, but there is a goal at work. Try to share the ideas that will help people grow. I feel like that I failed that in the first go around, but I wonder if a more focused attempt might work for the comic.
- So I heard there will be Star Wars: Rebels Season Four. Is there enough story left to tell? I mean, I feel like the storylines for each character are wrapping up now–we got the freaking Obi-Wan and Maul showdown coming up–and the Rebel Alliance has essentially been formed. I just have to wonder if there is going to be enough story to tell and if it is really going to justify a fourth season.
- So I live the next town over from Middlebury, where there were protests recently about Charles Murray’s speaking engagement and a professor was injured in the course of events. I am honestly not that familiar with his views, but those I am aware of are ones I don’t necessarily agree with. I get the impression that his beliefs influence his research and potentially skew it. Not to fault having beliefs, but there are times when beliefs can interfere with your ability to observe, think and develop ideas. I would personally prefer to see people challenge his ideas than resort to violence, but I can understand the strong feelings.
- Freedom of Speech should be about ideas, but do when certain individuals aren’t really bringing ideas, should they be entitled to a platform? Is Murray really bringing ideas to the table? Was Milo Yiannopoulos anything more than an exploited and troubled individual? (Not to dismiss anything he said, but I do think there are some real personal issues at work there)
February 22, 2017
Do you know what thinking is? It’s just a fancy word for changing your mind.
–The Doctor in Doctor Who “The Zygon Inversion”
- Continuing with a previous post: Freedom of Speech. I was thinking about the Bill Maher/Yiannopoulos interview and a point occurred to me. I like to think that the whole point behind Freedom of Speech is the exchange of ideas. Put forth new ideas that open people’s minds and get them thinking. There’s a difference between trying to pick a fight and putting forth a new idea. Ideas encourage thought and discussion. Whenever I’ve tried to write seriously about any topic–guns, religion, relationships, politics, social issues, etc.–I’m really just trying to give people new ideas to think about. I don’t necessarily overburden myself with a notion of being right or wrong. And any of those ideas I usually think on more after I write about them and would be willing to have a discussion about. I know that probably was never really possible for some people and probably never will be, but I wouldn’t mind discussion where possible. Being challenged helps new ideas to form.
- I’m pretty impressed that I’m holding steady at 175 pounds right now. My diet and exercise routines seem to be working effectively enough and I’m ramping up the cardio lately. Made it to 6.5 minutes on the elliptical machine. Can’t wait to kayak and hike again. I pretty much cut out cardio completely for the winter under the rational that I’m on my feet and running around for most of my eight hours at work every night so that should amount to something and I was trying to gain some significant weight. Still not where I want to be in regards to sleep, but there’s always something to work on.
- Trying to figure out how one is really supposed to celebrate President’s Day. What is one supposed to do?
- Lately, I’ve been giving more thought to bringing back Chlorine and Acid. I almost did a special page about something that was going on at work, but events unfolded so it was unnecessary. I feel like it is needed again. Going to do some page layouts and maybe redraw some of the early pages. Maybe even make some use of various reference pictures I took.
August 12, 2016
I went to the Fair on Thursday afternoon. It was in the upper 90s F. Got something to eat wandered around a bit, saw how depressed and overheated the whole place looked and said “Fuck This.” Went home after an hour. Admittedly, not the best time to go anyway, a bit of downtime when people are just getting out of work and things are slow. But still.
New page in Order of the Dragon is up. Going to try two pages a week just to keep a better pace. Liking the progress I’ve made so far, but I’ve been getting more sluggish and losing momentum. Might be that’s a heatwave. I think I’ve posted this link before, but here’s a Facebook page dedicated to Order of the Dragon. Mostly an effort to compartmentalize things. Also starting toying with some other ideas. There’s time travel comic I’ve been working on, as well as some reworking for Chlorine and Acid. There’s a lot of stories I didn’t tell with Chlorine and Acid and I would like to go back to it sometime. Maybe soon.
Odd event of the day. I caved and downloaded Pokemon Go last week. Barely play it really, but I have been on rare occasion. I think I’ve got a Squirtle, a weedle, a pidgey and a zubat so far. Anyway, I popped it open as I was leaving the gym this morning and it flashed up a warning about not playing while driving. I guess I was walking briskly enough to fool it into thinking I was driving. Funny.
Given how quickly your cash breaks down to smaller bills, I’ve basically been stashing small bills in an envelope for comiccon. I think at last count I had something like $45 in $1s. I’m kinda impressed actually. In $1, $5, $10 bills, I’ve got like $130 ready for con. I might use some of that for VTCC, but I’ve got figure exactly what my role there will be. Earlier this week, I put my name in to volunteer at the Con, help with setting up whatever. Still waiting to hear back on what exactly I’ll be doing.
Also hoping to give blood. They hold a blood drive there every there, might do that this year. I’ve declined in the past because I had some concerns about my body weight. Until the last year or two, my weight was generally around 135-140 pounds. At 5 foot 8 inches, I had a certain level of concern that I was underweight. I don’t think I was ever officially underweight–I think I took a test once, and it said I wasn’t–but I thought I was close enough to be concerned. That’s why I never gave blood. However, now that I’m pushing 170 pounds, I feel much safer about the idea. Also, work is planning to have one, so I might give then as well.
July 28, 2016
Feel I got way too serious about politics and life the other day, so here are a few random thoughts that don’t really have much to do with anything. Mostly just odd reflections that have occurred to me.
- Happy to be gaining momentum in putting together a comic again. I like the way the art is progressing and the story is coming together. I am still tempted on occasion to revisit Chlorine and Acid, but for now Order of the Dragon still has my undivided attention. Did come up with a killer idea for how to do the revamped Chlorine and Acid though. Might script it out in the near future. Need to get back to working on the novels too. I’ve been so focused on getting back into a mindset to draw, I have done nearly as much writing as I would have liked.
- I’ve made a lot of progress at the gym in the last few weeks. On the scale this morning I was weighing in at 164 pounds–that does fluctuate somewhat, but not usually that high. Finally getting the last few bits of the diet sorted out. Perfected this Weight Gainer Protein Shake. The type I’ve been using has a lengthy list of stuff you can add to the shake, so I’ve been trying various fruits, peanut butter, etc. Raspberries have too many seeds in them, so I switched to strawberries. Not bad. Also finding I like the Greek Yogurt and Granola for breakfast a lot too.
- Trying not to be a creep when I say this, but I always like seeing women at the gym doing more than stuff like the cardio machines or yoga. Actually lifting some weights. A point I’ve tried to get across to a couple of people is that lifting actually does a lot of good–occasionally more than cardio or yoga will do. Working the muscles can be more efficient than anything else you do. Plus, there is the misleading effect of making a woman’s breasts bigger. I say misleading because it is really only the pectoral muscles pushing them further out when they are worked. And eventually the body will burn the fatty tissue of the breasts as well. So yeah, not really true or false. Just misleading. Despite that fascinating tangent, I just feel women lifting is just a sign our world is in a better place
- Question of etiquette: I realized the other day that I had not added my ex’s best friend on Facebook–I added my ex’s sister, but not her best friend. The sister had a bit of a purpose of keeping updated on her husband, who’s a former coworker and a friend of my father’s–and also trying to get some read on the ex’s mindset when we still had dealings. The best friend… we were living together in the hippy commune, so I would say we were friends. I don’t remember if I actually thought about adding her or what. The ex and I were busy making fools of ourselves anyway. Maybe in those first couple of months I didn’t think it would fit in some sense of etiquette? Is there a moratorium on that type of thing? I don’t know. Just acting half my age for five minutes. Mostly I’m just curious if there is somebody out there who wrote up something like that.
July 22, 2016
After several months of just being stalled for a variety of reasons, I feel it is about time to post some comic book pages again. I’m going to finish uploading the pages I’ve already completed in Order of the Dragon over the weekend. Monday’s page is done, the next two are eighty to ninety percent there–Wednesday just needs some minor tweaks and Friday is mostly colored.
I think I’m going to leave out the Issue Zero story. That was really more of a… therapeutic exercise than anything, with no real connection to the rest of the story. I liked it well enough, but I think it has served its purpose. It was a effective tool for the job I needed it for–plus I still cringe every time I think of that drawing I did of the cat with its face falling off. Its still up on the Duck if anybody wants to check it out.
So I’m getting that going again. Issue #1 of Order of the Dragon should be smooth sailing.
Also thinking about Chlorine and Acid again. I stopped doing it for a number of reasons. One, I was in the middle of a story about a plant manager getting fired and they fired the current one at the time. Needless to say, that was a wee bit too… topical. I decided to take a little break before I continued. So a month goes by there’s a “terrorist threat” made against the company. We have a couple of former employees that post these stupid little photoshop things making fun of current and former management. They weren’t necessarily known for their good judgement. One of them posted this thing about ISIS and our Holiday party. Canceled the party, had a cop watching the plant 24/7 for a few weeks… it was quite the spectacle. I started it with the idea that I would offer some mockery and insight into what goes on at the plant, but it was intended to stay in the range of good fun and for the most part did–I will admit I toed a couple of lines. After that fiasco, I voluntarily ended the comic to avoid the appearance of encouraging or approving that type of thing.
I might try to do some new outlines and start over fresh with it, but I’m not too committed to the idea. It was intended to be a collaborative project, but my collaborator didn’t work out. I tried doing it alone, but it felt weird doing it without the inspiration for one of the characters.
Still would like to do something collaborative. The idea of being able to focus on just drawing or writing a comic actually does intrigue me quite a bit. If all goes well getting Order of the Dragon going, I’ll be giving that more serious thought.
March 2, 2016
Not much new to really get into, just basic updates.
- Wrote out a pretty epic essay type thing about ideas the other day. Really did not intend to get quite as political or make as much of a statement on things as I did, but it happened. Regardless, I liked how it came out. Just a number of thoughts I felt like needed to be shared, I guess.
- Continuing to work away on comics, reevaluating my strategy a bit. Planning on a bit more focus on doing trades rather doing a page at a time. Will continue to post pages in Order of the Dragon, but it will likely be less frequent as I focus more on marketable products. Thinking about a few new projects to work on. Also entertaining the idea of a collaborative work. I actually really want to do something where I team up with someone else. The biggest issue of Chlorine and Acid was that it was became too much me in the story–well, one of the biggest issues–and part of the reason I had to stop. Admittedly LMCBW might have had some of the same issues, but I like to think we would have balanced out.
- Working on a novel or two now. The bodybuilding one continues to trudge along. My general plan is to have a novel self-published by the beginning of summer, which should be doable.
- Voted in the Vermont primary yesterday. A bit irrelevant, if only because the guy I voted for was locked in already–86% of the vote. Thought about voting Republican, but that’s almost as irrelevant. As sad as it is, Trump is the likely nominee.
- Plans are starting to come together. I’m a bit more confident my plan to pay off the majority of my debt by the end of the year will happen. First pieces are falling into place, working on the next few. I like where this is going. Stashing away plenty of cash while paying off debt, it seems like things are going in the right direction. I think I can get another piece in place today, so we’ll see how things go.
- If all goes well, this could be an awesome summer. If the numbers do work out, I will be buying a Kayak and/or archery gear in the near future–hopefully without adding another card to the mix. Shopping around for those now. People might ask: why archery? Because it is cool? I’ve always had a fascination with it. Guns just never excited me. For some reason, archery does. Kayaking is more because I’m looking for something more complex cardio workouts for during the summer. Good cardio is something I’ve been lacking for a long time. Probably won’t buy either until the weather is bit more accommodating to such activities.