February 8, 2017
The game is afoot.
- I collect Magic Cards, but I haven’t really played since college. Mostly I just put decks together. I’ll buy a booster pack or holiday box or whatever and start seeing what cards go together. I’m not even really up to speed on a lot of the new abilities–energy counters, etc.–that have been added in recent years. I might try to sell a few decks at some point. I really don’t need the two dozen or so decks I’m working on. I mean, I might like to play a few of them (the Chandra one, the Elf Deck, the Vampire Deck, Red/White Angel Deck) but most of them are ones I don’t really need.
- Going to start working on a series of Magic the Gathering drawings soon. Already did a Chandra sketch card, planning to do some some of those. Maybe something more complex. Going to try to get back to page work in the near future. Problem is I always want to do ten pages when I should do one. And burn myself out. I have no pacing whatsoever. Working on that.
- Officially done bulking. Got up to 180 pounds. Pretty pleased about that, although I did briefly hope to get up to 200 pounds. Combination of factors got in the way, but 180 was the goal along. My general plan is to cut down to 170 or so. The biggest thing has just been trying to learn to work with my body, not against it. The big issue is still sleep, but not much to be done about that for now. Kind of a body and mind thing.
- Tried a new pre-workout that somebody gave me a sample of. Stuff called 5150. I think I read that it has 8 different types of caffeine. Very powerful stuff. If anybody wants to try it, be warned: it is very intense.
- Thinking about trying to make Meatballs or something different than I’ve been making.
- I wrote the other day about my experiences growing up on the family farm and been pondering that a bit more. Basically I’ve gained more insight into a lot of what unfolded regarded my family’s history in farming and it has given me some new avenues of thought. I don’t deny those experiences did give me a more pessimistic view of farming–and also of opportunities I was presented with, but that’s a story for another year. Trying not to get into what ifs, but I do believe there were opportunities I could have done a lot with. And maybe new options will present themselves. I’m always keeping an eye open.
- I find myself pondering options and opportunities. The average person will change careers seven times. I have to wonder if in trying to create a stable workplace, do employers limit the ability of workers to find better options and opportunities. I get paid $22 and some change an hour with good benefits where I work, but does that pay rate keep me from seriously considering a job where I might be happier? Where I might have better opportunities for advancement and more flexibility to pursue other endeavors? And does the effort to maintain a stable workplace keep employers from finding people who are potentially better fits? Stability and comfort can be as much a hindrance as a help.
Posted by rossofsaunders
Filed in Uncategorized ·Tags: 5150, art, Bulking, Cooking, Drawing, employees, employers, Farming, fitness, Health, healthy, healthy eating, healthy living, Hobbies, Ideas, jobs, Magic, Magic The Gathering, nutrition, opportunities, options, Planning, pre-workout, sketch cards, Thoughts, Working Out, workplace
January 25, 2017
Right now the song “Battle of Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)” from Hamilton has been stuck in my head for the last couple of days.
- Getting political again. I’m making plans to get more involved in some political stuff. Looking into some local groups, going to try to help out. Advocacy groups and the like. Voices need to be heard. Thinking of starting a new blog with more focus on politics. Might help to organize and focus my thoughts.
- I was watching Bill Maher’s season premiere the other night and he said something I found interesting. Talking about the Clintons, he expressed the thought of, “Thank you for service, now I never want to see you again.” When Bernie Sanders really began to pick up momentum in the primaries, I read that as a sign that the political world was changing. The era of the Bush and Clinton dynasties was coming to an end. For a number of reasons, I look at it less as Trump winning and everybody else losing. Trump’s election was less the will of the people and more… backlash from the attempt to resist the natural direction our political landscape was trying to go. Trump is very much an establishment figure. Power is going back to the people, but Trump is not the champion of that.
- Enough political talk. Let’s talk about sex. Was working on a comic script and there was a sex scene. In writing it, I was going through a bunch of sex positions I had bookmarked at various times. One stuck out to me. This has intrigued me for some time. I think there was a variation where the man and woman are reversed, but it makes me wonder how likely a back injury would be with this. Admitted I’m in pretty good shape right now, but I’m not sure whether or not I have enough body fat to pad myself or enough flexibility. It would be a hell of a reason to call out from work though.
- After being sick for most the last two weeks, I did end up losing a bit of weight. I had been hovering around 180 pounds. Now I’m sitting at 175. I was going to do a bit of a cut, not to serious of one because I like where my weight is. Basically I’m going to use up what I have left for Serious Mass and maintain for the foreseeable future. 175 was right about where I wanted to be anyway.
- Reading about how lack of sleep affects your stomach bacteria. Hint: it isn’t good. I have noticed I am more prone to upset stomaches and related issues lately, despite improving my diet. One more reason it was a big mistake to make the jump to working nights.
- Thinking a little further on the post I did on Monday, I’m going to make a bit of a declaration. I’m going to think of myself in one word: Human. Stop with seeing myself as a male, absurdist, romanticidal, feminist, nerd, athlete, artist, writer, loser, etc… Just see myself as “Human.” We’ll see how that goes.
- I realized the other day I actually do have fifty-something followers on this blog. I find that mind-boggling sometimes. I mostly do this more for myself, so I’m never really sure how to feel about people actually reading it. I hope I’m putting some good ideas out there.
Posted by rossofsaunders
January 11, 2017
Am I done hacking up a lung yet?
- I’ve been reflecting on Barack Obama’s presidency a bit. It was a mixed bag in a lot of ways. I think there were ways he could have done more and been a much more progressive president. I also think he could have done more to strengthen the Democratic Party. When he won in 2008, I think the Democratic Party assumed too much about the inevitability of Hillary Clinton and the advancing of the Liberal Agenda. I was a bit guilty of that too. As Bernie Sanders has shown, more can be done and people are ready to listen. And there needs to be a chorus of voices, not just one. In retrospect, Obama tried to do too much and too little–this could be a much longer post on its own, but I’ll keep it brief–early in his presidency and struggled a bit more as a result. So… it had a lot of good and bad to it.
- How did I miss it when Thin Mints went Vegan in 2015? I’m sorry, but I feel like somebody is missing the point of Thin Mints. Somebody at work brought in an order sheet. I ordered the Samoas and the peanut butter ones I can’t remember the name of right now.
- Been sick the last few days. Bad cold. I was going to finish my bulk for the winter and start cutting this week, but I think I’ll bulk for a couple more weeks to try to get a bit more mass and strength back. Not that I really lost much of either–still weighed 179 at the gym this morning–but I’d like to keep going while I can. Probably not going to do a real “cut” anyway. I’d rather avoid losing too much weight.